What is that map all about?
It shows the weighted centre of all of the shows at this year’s Edinburgh Fringe Festival. If you want to be at the centre of the action, staying near there isn’t a bad idea. Use the filters to show you where the centre is for different categories (Theatre, Comedy etc.).
- All of the Fringe shows (with date, time, category and subcategory)
- All of the Fringe venues (with latitude and longitude)
- Apply a weighting to each show, which is just the number of times it’s on.
- Get the longitude and latitude of that show’s location.
- For each subcategory, category, and overall, find the midpoint (according to the weightings calculated above).
Easy. No fuss.
If you’re still curious, ask away. If you’d like to give me beer because I put your bar near the centre of things, good. Do. If you’d like me to find the midpoint of something, let me know. If you’d like me to stop promising to write more and then not doing so, sorry, that’s just unrealistic.
My geekness is a-quivering.
p.s. if there’s sufficient interest I’ll do a tutorial on how to get the data, find the midpoints and then put together the visualization.